Sunday, September 23, 2007

Friday, September 23rd, 2005

Ok, it isn't fungus, so what happens now? A bronchiascope. That is when they put you out and run a tube up your nose and down into your lung. They take a sample of one of the growths. Then a biopsy tells you what the growths are.

Very few people knew about me being scheduled for this procedure. One of the people that I kept in pretty close contact with during this time was Aaron M. Aaron is a young doctor who was playing softball on the team I was coaching, "the buzzards." [all the church softball teams are named after something to do with roadkill.] Aaron's next door neighbor at the time was Steve W. who also played for the buzzards. Aaron's mom was coming to church with him. She had been diagnosed with lung cancer. We had her funeral earlier this year.

So, Cathy and I are at the St. Luke's medical building on the plaza, where Dr. Schartz [partner of Dr. Lem] is going to do the scope. We are sitting in the waiting room when in walks Aaron and Steve.

I didn't want to trouble anyone. I didn't want the whole church to worry. I didn't ask anyone to come to the procedure. But here they were. I've got to tell you, when they walked in the door, I was so excited. So happy to see them. There are some great men at WCC. Two of them had stopped by to bring a word of encouragement to their old softball coach.

The procedure came and went and I was delivered groggily back to my wife.

We went home to wait for the results. Small cell? Large cell? Something else? What will it be? At least now we will know.

Friday, September 23rd 2005. That was then, this is now. Thank God.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: