Saturday, September 29, 2007

Things that I learned

One of the blessings of trauma and trial is that our world changes. Difficulty can teach us, if we allow it to do so. The lessons of September 2005 were many for me. Some of them were new, some of them were things that I already knew, but had forgotten.

I find it very interesting in life that there are things that you know, but you get busy in life and then you forget them. Then something happens to bring the things back to mind and you feel as if you have received a totally new insight, when in fact it is something that you should have known, something that you used to know, but just forgot. Like, the ancient Egyptians did brain surgery. Really.

Unfortunately, some of the things that I would tell you that I learned in September 2005 are fading into memory. Life goes on, the poignant pain that brings you to your knees can be easily forgotten and its lessons encroached upon by the ever present demands of life.

On October 9, 2005, I preached a sermon that outlined what happen to me and the things that I felt that I learned. I have had the audio version reposted to our web site. You can listen to it if you like by clicking on the link below, or going into the church website at www.woodschapelchurch.org. Select "sermons" from the menu on the left, then select "audio sermons" from the slide out menu. The title of the sermon is: October 9, 2005, Things I am thinking about."

You can also cut and paste the following link into your browser to reach the sermon, or some of you may be able to just click on the link and go directly to the audio sermon.
http://manage.handsontheweb.com/views/51

I think I am going to make a point to listen at least once a year so that I do not forget the lessons learned.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Lion's Den Man said...

Jeff,

Just finished listening to the sermon. Very thought provoking, no surprise. There is so much I could write about here.

80/20. Yesterday was a day I was able to spend on the 20%. Lucky me. Makes me want to have more 20% focus days. I left work early to be with a friend at a funeral. He is a close friend. Very close. I went with my closet friend, my wife. We met up with another very close friend. 3 for 3 so far, my day was going great, conversations that mattered with people that matter to me. The funeral was for a woman I had never met. At the end of it I wish I had. She had surrendered herself long ago to Christ and had impacted so many lives. She was filled to the brim. She was a witness and through sharing she changed lives. Wow. I believe she lived in the 20% zone 100% of the time. The three of us briefly talked about it afterwards……..how do we get to where she was? Anyway, we headed home and stopped on the street to talk to a very close friend. 4 for 4. He was out playing with his kids, he is a busy man most of the time but he was relaxed and spending time in the 20% zone. I got home and decided to go for a bike ride (5 for 5) and take in a little slow time. Came home and went out to dinner with my wife (already counted her once, but heck 6 for 6). Woke up to a hug from my son then my daughter (8 for 8). Opened the blog (9 for 9) and then listened to the sermon (10 for 10).

Spending time in the 20% is great.

1. I have nothing to forgive you for you have always been good to me.
2. I pray I have been the same towards you. If not please forgive me.
3. Thank you.
4. I love you.

Peace,
Lion’s Den Man