Thursday, September 13, 2007

September 13th, 2005

[as I mentioned yesterday, I am going to be writing for the next couple of weeks about the events of two years ago.]

September 13th, 2005

I had a required district pastor's meeting from 10am -noon at the Aldersgate UMC in south Lees Summit. So, I scheduled my doctor's appointment for 8:30am. I had been having sinus and breathing problems since the early spring. The doctors had diagnosed a sinus infection, and then bronchitis and finally pneumonia. For the past month I had been on a pretty strong antibiotic to fight the pneumonia.

My doctor is a great guy. We have been friends for ten years. Today, he listens to my chest and sends me through the process of another x-ray. After the dance with the x-ray tech and the customary wait to have it read, the Doctor tells me that the x-ray is not clear. Sometimes this happens because what the film shows can be a bit behind what the medicine is actually accomplishing against the pneumonia. Even so, he announces to me that I am having a ct-scan tomorrow. He gives me the time and the place. He has already made the appointment.

Hello. My brain turns on. You made an appointment for me to have a ct-scan tomorrow without asking me about my schedule? This is serious. I ask him, "is this serious?" He gives me the normal Doctor answer, "I don't think so, but we have to be sure."

We make small talk and I leave the office. I still remember driving from the doctor's office to the pastors meeting. My brain is considering the options.

With all of this going on, I am a bit late to the pastor's meeting. The main presentation is over when I arrive and the pastors have divided into small groups for discussion and prayer. I pick the group with a friend of mine, Dave O, the pastor at Lone Jack. He is a great guy and being in his group makes me feel comfortable. Actually, there is nothing comfortable about me today. My doctor has alarmed me and I am wearing it like a bad suit.

There is a fellow in the small group that I have never met. John P, pastor at Virginia UMC near Butler. He takes one look at me and asks me what is going on. Isn't it interesting how certain people are perceptive. They can read you and they just know that there is something wrong.

I told John and the group what the doctor said. They prayed for me.

When Cathy and I got home from work that night, I told her. She could tell that I was disturbed by the insistence of the doctor, but as she sees the world, I am often worried about things that I shouldn't be. Later that night I say my prayers and go to sleep. Sleep doesn't come easy, but I feel pretty confident about what the outcome will be.

Tuesday, September 13th, 2005. That was then, this is now. Thank God.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

terry said...

It must be hard to re-live those times. I remember when you were ill and it reminds me of how much you and your guidance have come to mean to me. You are truly an inspiration. You have ministered to me in so many ways.

Lion's Den Man said...

No one can understand the “why” part of the things that happen to those we care for. Good people. Innocent people. People who do good. People who know God. There is never the right thing to say, no matter how careful it is said, no matter how heart felt the thought truly is…... We feel at a loss, helpless and our own fears of trials, troubles and mortality start to race through our mind. It is easy to say “God has a plan” it is hard to hear it if you are the “victim”, but the truth is God does have a plan and there are no “victims” as far as he is concerned.

Jeff…………. I believe God has used you in more ways than you can imagine. That was a scary time for all of us. We celebrated in your victory but it was His victory. We all benefited from the rough time you went through.

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

I wonder how many people He connected or perhaps reengaged through your ordeal.

Peace,
Lion’s Den Man

terry said...

You have a way with words Lion's Den Man. I learned the other day that the Young Life Group tied to the Virginia college campus tragedy has gone from a small group of about 50 kids to over 300. These kids are worshipping God and learning the Gospel in response to this tragedy!! THey are loving each other and clinging together in pain. Pain purifies us and makes us LOVE MORE not less.....To God be the Glory!