Monday, September 24, 2007

Saturday, September 24th, 2005

I would like to talk about my wife for a moment. When a person is going thru a difficult time, usually they think about themselves. I did plenty of that. We should always remember that there is lots of collateral suffering going on around the sick person. But, people of character have a knack of finding the tools to cope with dfficult situations.

My wife is a reserved person. She holds her cards close to her chest. She didn't really count on being a pastor's wife, it just sort of happened to her. She has been a wonderful mother. She is my best friend.

The day that the c-t scan results came in, I faxed them to her office. The medical people that she worked with explained to her that the radiology report was very bad. They sent her home. On the way home, a 30 mile drive from Lenexa, she had her first tearful discussion with God. Cathy would never tell you that she "hears from God," but she did that day. In response to her prayer in the car, she felt an answer. She felt God was saying, "you have to let him go." No. No. NO! That was not what she wanted to hear.

She arrived home and we talked a bit. She prayed again. Same answer. Later in the afternoon, she prayed more. "God, please let him live. How can this be? He works hard for you, Lord. What about the kids. Please God please let him live." She received the same answer. "You have to let him go."

Well, she fought this, just as any person would. It was not the answer that she wanted to hear. In one moment her entire life had been turned upside down.

That night she tried to sleep. Sleep, awake, nap, awake. She wrestled with God in the wee hours of the morning. Finally, she came to the place that I hope all Christians can arrive at. She said, "ok God, I ask that you spare my husband. But no matter what happens, I will trust you."

She cried. The struggle was over. God had won. His gift to her was a peace that would be instrumental over the next few weeks. Everytime I talked with her and shared my pain and my fears, she would say, "Jeff, everything is going to work out. No matter what happens, God is with us. I am not afraid anymore."

I wished that she told me that God was going to heal me, but thats not what she heard. What she offered me was an invitation to trust in God no matter what happens. She asked me to do what I always ask others to do. Don't worry about the circumstances. Trust in God. She was solid as a rock for me.

I want to tell you. This is a good woman. This is a great person. She runs deep. If you are ever team captain, pick her first when choosing sides. Cathy will not let you down.

Saturday, September 24th, 2005. That was then, this is now. Thank God.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Lion's Den Man said...

Jeff,

You and Cathy are blessed to have each other. My guess is Cathy is solid as a rock, most, if not all of the time. She knows you. She knew what you needed. It would be a great thing if it worked that well for all marriages. It is sad, I think, when I see a married couple living their lives separately…..especially when they don’t even know it. Their lives run parallel instead of together.

1 Corinthians 7
32 I want you to be free from the concerns of this life. An unmarried man can spend his time doing the Lord’s work and thinking how to please him. 33 But a married man has to think about his earthly responsibilities and how to please his wife. 34 His interests are divided. In the same way, a woman who is no longer married or has never been married can be devoted to the Lord and holy in body and in spirit. But a married woman has to think about her earthly responsibilities and how to please her husband.

You both are blessed. A good man who is married to a good woman.

Peace,
Lion’s Den Man