Sunday, February 17, 2008

broken arm

So, you want your son to go on the church ski trip. He will be 17 next month and he is a good boy. Let him go. Let him grow up. Everything will be fine.

You help him pack, you make a list of what he is missing. You pack a cooler of food for him. You take him to the bus. "Bye Scottie!" Off they go.

They drive all night. He loves the all night bus ride. Hmm. They arrive in Colorado. Saturday they ski. Saturday afternoon, you are sitting at home and the phone rings. It's a nurse from the hospital in Colorado.

"Is this Mrs. Brinkman?"
"yes."
"This is nurse Simpson from the hosptial in Glenwood Springs. We have your son Scott here. He has a broken arm."

I wonder how he broke his arm? "hot dogging," the nurse says.
I am offended.
I can't believe than my son would be hot dogging it on the ski slope.
JK!

Oh well, he is fine. It is nothing really serious. Arms heal. Heck, he has broken three arms. He is an expert at this.

But there is this little fatherly worry. I wish I could be there. I hope he is ok. I know he is ok, I just want to see him.

Do you ever think that God worries about us? Maybe so. Do you think that God wants to find us, and hold us, and help everything be ok? I think so.

We are out hot dogging it on the slopes of life and we get broken up. God loves you and wants to heal your wounds. Let him. Sometimes our wounds slow us down so that we can stop and really see what is important in life.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: