Sunday, February 3, 2008

I tied a shoe

Well, if I am honest with you about the things that I struggle with, I should also tell you about the small moments of victory and joy.

Yesterday I refereed Upwards Basketball for grades 1-2. This is my Saturday gig during the Upwards season. It is wonderful for me because it is a chance for me to give. So many things at the church are things that I "should" do. This is something that I choose to do. This is something that I do because it is a chance for me to give back, to be in service of others.

So I am the referee. Somewhere in the middle of the game I notice that the girl that is getting ready to inbounds the ball has a shoe that is untied. I asked her to hold the ball and I kneel down and tie her shoe. I didn't think much of it, until I heard and saw the clicks and flashes of a couple of cameras.

I guess it was really a photogenic moment. Referee stooping to help a child. Nice picture, nice memory. I feel really good about that moment.

How many opportunities during the day are we offered to help someone else. I feel good when I help, I feel bad when I miss it. Here is to more shoe tying by all of us.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: