Monday, February 25, 2008

freewill

One of the greatest gifts that we have is freewill. The freedom to choose our attitudes. My mom used to say, your mom used to say, "no one makes you mad, you choose to be mad."

It is very easy for us to look at circumstances and be upset. The sky may be blue, but if all we ever see when we look up is the clouds, then it is always going to be raining on our parade.

Last week, someone asked me if I was ok. I was glum. Down, but not out. I told them I was fine. Yes I was glum, but I am going to get better. I am coming back. The choice of a positive attitude can't fix everything, but it sure helps.

As a young man, I experienced many highs and lows as I was buffeted by life's circumstances. Now that I am older, my life history tells me that these clouds are only temporary. This too shall pass.

Don't let the pain of this moment, capture your entire disposition. Tomorrow is coming and you will be better then. Especially if you choose to be better.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see and choose to see the good.

2 comments:

Andrew Loos said...

Jeff,

I really enjoyed your entry "Freewill." In my home, Liz and I talk to our daughter about freewill everyday.

We pray that Isabelle will comprehend that she is neither a "good girl" or a "bad girl", but rather has the free will to make good or bad choices.

In my business, families always ask how I keep my head up and stay so positive. I always tell them, "I was given a wonderful gift. The gift of freewill." I get to choose how I feel, and I ALWAYS choose to look at the bright side of the world.

Thanks for sharing everyday. I really enjoy your blog.

Andrew Loos

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post and the sermon about prayer yesterday. I think the two are related. What do we choose to pray about? I've caught myself praying a lot, "Father, help me do this. Father help me do that. Help me be this, help me be that." I guess I stopped altogether thanking Him for what He helps me to do every day. One thing I learned yesterday is that I need to listen to God more and thank Him more. He'll take care of what needs to be taken care of, and I don't have to worry about it. I choose to not make so many requests, but instead come to God with thanksgiving and an eagerness to listen. I want to say while I'm at it that I love Woods Chapel and it is an answer to prayer. I thank God for an opportunity to serve Him around so many other people that joyfully serve Him.