Wednesday, February 27, 2008

kittens

Kittens are cute. Everyone likes kittens. But the problem with kittens is this: if you feed them, they turn into cats. A lot of people do not like cats. I am starting to understand why.

My daughters will tell you that our two cats are part of the family. I will tell you differently. They are freeloaders. They sleep and eat and sleep and eat. They do nothing to contribute to the welfare of the home. They don't even have the "sitting on your lap" thing down right. One of them, Princess KiKi, never sits on your lap unless it is cold. She is the cat that if you didn't find her eating at the bowl, you wouldn't know that you had her. She hides all the time. Like the big dog in the Chevy Chase movie, Funny Farm. What is the point of that? Her brother, Tylor, is just the opposite. He is a neurotic dependent thing that is incomplete by himself. He must sit on someone's lap all the time. If you ever make the mistake of scratching his head, you will become one of his best friends. He will follow you around the house, crying and moaning until you pay him his needed attention.

And why do cats have names anyway? It's not like they come when you call. It's not like they use their names to identify each other. And do you blame them? What self respecting cat would want to introduce themselves by saying, "hello, my name is Princess KiKi?"

So, you may be wondering why I am up in arms about cats today. Well, they have learned a new trick. In the past, KiKi has pounded on the bedroom door to get in. If you ignore her long enough, she will go away and return to hiding. I have often wondered why she wants in anyway, she won't let anyone pet her.

So during cold weather, we have this nightly dance. She pounds on the door, drumming it with her feet. We ignore her, we yell at her, we throw shoes at the door. Most couples don't wear shoes to bed. I wonder what they throw at the cats in the middle of the night?

Two o'clock, three o'clock, all hours of the night, and this cat is pounding on the door to get in. I just get back to sleep from the last episode and I guess she hears me snoring, [that is me snoring, isn't it?] and she is back at the door, trying to wake me up.

Well, she has learned a new trick. The door knob to the bedroom is a lever type knob. You don't have to grip and turn it, all you have to do is pull it down and the door will open. Who ever decided to teach my cat how to do this is in a lot of trouble with me.

The last two nights, about the time the pounding wakes you up, you hear the door open and the approaching yowls of a cat, a cat so big, she can hardly jump up onto the bed. If we had not fed her, maybe she would still be a kitten, but now, this is a cat. C-a-t Cat. A big one. A keeper. Bass Pro shop has offered us money to put her on display.

So here she comes across the floor, up onto the bed. Her brother follows her in. In short order, I have Tylor laying on my chest, his purring reverberating on my neck. KiKi, the door opening, magic cat, well she has decided that she wants to lick the top of my head. So you have this purring noise in your throat and this cat-scratch-tongue noise on the top of your head. I wondered why I was losing my hair. Now I know. I wonder if there would be fewer bald guys if there were no cats to lick the top of their head.

Tomorrow, I am locking the door. I hope that helps. I need to get some sleep. Whoever is working with this cat, please do not teach her how to unlock the door. Have pity on an old man and let him get some sleep.

And a bit of fatherly advice for those moments when you are tempted. Do not go into Petco. Do not go to the wayside waifs web site. If someone is out in front of the grocery store with a cardboard box, just walk on by. Sure, their sign says "free kittens." There is a reason that they are free. Just walk on by, you will sleep better at night, and you won't be prematurely losing your hair.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

8 comments:

Dave Templeman said...

My wife is a cat person. I am a dog person. I sympathize with your plight - I've been bitten by her cats, put up with more than my share of "the house is my litterbox" and waking up in the middle of the night to purring and/or sandpaper kisses. We lost our last cat a couple years ago - she's in a jar under the TV now. I told Kelli we were a cat family for 15 years so we're going to be a dog family for the next 15. I was waiting for the lesson in your post but didn't see it until I starting thinking about it. It's not about cats, it's about unloading our burdens. Every once in a while it's good just to let it out. And Petco isn't all bad - they have puppies too.

Anonymous said...

25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good..............oh ya, and cats that open doors and lick your head.
eb

Anonymous said...

You know that you are loved. Even though they wake you at 1:30am to let one out and then at 3:30am to let the other one out. Even though they wander around yeowling and you can't quite seem to figure out what it is exactly that they want and you are threatening to make them permanent outside cats due to frustration. There are those rare times (at least with the two that we have right now) that they are totally in tune and devoted to you that seems to make up for all the frustrating days. Just like it is with your child! I never have to go into to Petco or anywhere else. My daughter puts up hay in the summers for a friend and our current cats where her payment. But we have two dogs too which we obtained on purpose. And the horse of course! My life would simply not be complete without my share of God's creatures.

Anonymous said...

It is a funny coincidence how a post on a pet can bring comments so quick.

My wife thinks that I miss the dogs more than I miss Her during the day. That is not true, but they are fun to come home too.

I have a theory on why we love our pets so much...they give us unconditional love. Why else would we go to the trouble and expense to have them? To have them we need to do uncomfortable things like pick up poo in the back yard, walk them everyday, let them sleep on top of us, potty train them. What we get in return is a friend who always is happy to see us, will do anything to please us and ALWAYS loves us.

GB

Anonymous said...

This blog was so funny! I too have a kitty that is antisocial and pounds on bedroom doors. And my husband is bald. Hmmmmm.

chigger farmer said...

We also have two cats and one of our kitties not only knocks on the door - he repeatedly "body slams" the door until it flies open. (due to settling the door doesn't latch all the way) Then proceeds to jump on our bed to lick the bald head of my husband. It looks like a kitty trend if you ask me.

This blog and the comments have been really entertaining. Neat to hear from these animal owners....and yes I love dogs too - we have two of them; don't have a horse yet - but I did consider a blind goat.

Anonymous said...

Someone put tuna juice in your shampoo. It's the oldest trick in the book.

Anonymous said...

Sorry this comment is late - I've been out of town and have been "catching up"....

I had to respond to this...we, too, have two cats. One of them also decided to throw his entire body weight at our door every night at 1:30 in the morning. First time it happened, scared me and hubby half to death. Thought there was a 200-pound burglar trying to break in.

We now take the cats downstairs to the basement every night and shut the door. They can pound away to their little kitty heart's content, and we don't hear it!

P.S. In today's paper, it said that cat owners are 40% less likely to die of a heart attack than non-cat owners. So - remember that next time you have a nocturnal visit. The cat may be saving your life! :-)