Wednesday, April 15, 2009

boss

I used that word on Sunday during the sermon, and it seems that alot of you found that interesting. "Boss" not as the person in charge, but "boss" as we used the term when I was 13. Boss, meaning, cool.

Many of you laughed, but I am sure that you had funny words that you used when you were young. Everyone is looking for a way to fit in.

I think that is still true. We all want to fit in. How do we do that. Usually by some sort of identification. I may be a fan of this particular sports team. If they win, I am happy, if they lose, I am sad. I may wear clothes that indicate that I run with a certain group. I may try to look sporty, or young, or dignified. People buy cars that make them feel a certain way. Identification.

All of my friends said, "boss" cool. So, I was one of the crowd.

Here is the thought that I have been trying to get to. What if we stopped worrying about what others thought of us. What if we stopped trying to impress others? What if we were so secure, confident and healthy that we could drive any old car, wear any type of clothing, and root for every team?

What if we were so comfortable in our skin that we just took it all in stride. Just lived. Not trying to prove anything to anyone. Just be yourself, for better or for worse. Something inside tells me that is how Jesus lived.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

the fly said...

don't you ever run out of things to write about? you are amazing

terry said...

You are so right, but I don't think we REALLY know that until we lose everything with which we "identify". When it's just you and God, you find out who you really are and what really matters.

Anonymous said...

It made me smile, when you used the word "boss." I knew exactly what you meant, even though I haven't used that word in that way for years. We were so cool as teenagers...long, long ago :)