Sunday, April 19, 2009

transformers

[I am writing this post because the concepts were on my mind, not because someone is unhappy]

Transformers. I don't mean the toys that kids play with. I mean the kind of transformers that you find on an electrical pole.

The power comes in on the big lines. It is concentrated and dangerous. Just lift up a ladder and hit the line and you will find out how powerful it is. I have done two funerals for people whose ladders touched the power lines.

Anyway, the power gets to the transformer where it is reduced to a voltage that is useable in your home. It gets smaller so that it does not electrocute us when we plug in the toaster.

I was talking to a friend on Friday about Richardson's book, Creating a healthy church. In his book, he talks about transformers. About how we Christians, and church members can transform anxiety from the deadly, destructive force that it can be, and reduce it's painful effects in the life of the congregation.

Some people do the opposite, they take a small thing and get all charged up over it and make it into a big thing. Sometimes they even try to get others upset over whatever it is.

As a Christian, we need to be about reducing anxiety in our families and in our congregations. We need to provide a culture in our churches where unhappiness is welcomed, but also healed. By applying God's love to whatever may be upsetting someone, we can heal them and avoid an upset fruitbasket. When church members get unhappy it is easy for them to get off mission. When we are focused on our mission, we are usually too busy to stay unhappy for long.

Are you raising the level of anxiety in your church or lowering it? Every church has good in it, let's focus on that and build from there.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I meant to tell you this morning...but was focusing on your message and then forgot! Fancy that!

This morning as my garage door lifted, I looked out to see five wild turkeys in the yard across the street. Mind you, I see wild turkeys rather frequently in the fields as I'm driving to and from church, etc., but never in our neighborhood. One male, four females. Very exciting and fun to watch.

Loved your blog today. Hopefully, I am not one of those who raise the level of anxiety in our church or in people with whom I have connections. It's easy enough to get all riled-up, upset, overly-concerned about things, but if we can direct those energies toward something positive, it would be far more advantageous to me, to you, for everyone!

Love ya,
M.A.