Thursday, April 2, 2009

vacation

I got a call from a friend last week who wondered if I was ok. He was worried about me because I did not post for three days. Lion's Den Man posted instead of me. I told him that I had taken a couple of vacation days and went out of town.

Vacation is important. In the United Methodist Church, pastors under appointment have four weeks of vacation and two additional weeks for continuing education. When I was young and the church was smaller, that seemed like alot. Back then, I was often done with my work by Wednesday and I would mow the church yard on Thursday. Back then, things really slowed down during the summer. Not anymore. We are busy 52 weeks of the year. I get tons of emails and phone calls. The pressure is constant. [wahhh...] get out your violin.

Anyway, the last few years, I have been taking all four weeks of vacation. This year I am probably going to make sure that I take the time for continuing education too. A pastor just has to keep his or her brain fresh. You have got to make time to find rest for your soul.

Last year when I was gone, I posted to the blog anyway. I was on vacation, but not from the blog. Last week I took Wednesday and Thursday off, and off from the blog. I decided to ask Lions Den Man to post. Sometimes, I just need some time to rest.

I thank all church staff and volunteers for helping in all the ways that you do. For doing good work, and for working harder when I am out. Everybody needs a little time away. Thanks for letting me be gone.

If you have a pastor, please let him or her be on vacation. Their brain and their soul needs it from time to time.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that you know you need it. So many don't recognize that they need to take the time.
Tonia

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tonia. I think we run ourselves ragged, trying to keep up and please everyone. Taking a vacation should not make you feel guilty. You need take care of yourself, so you can take care of others.

Anonymous said...

WOW. I can't remember when I took any time totally off. I'm too "busy". Time to rethink that one. Maybe the reason I'm not very productive and I have too much to do is that I haven't refreshed. Time to plan a vacation. Even three or four days in a row would be different.