Friday, April 24, 2009

the mills of the gods

The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

How many times did I hear my father say this. 100 times. 1,000 times. It was one of his regular refrains. Although he died in 2002, I still hear his voice.

Many of you do not know this, but for a year, he led a choir for the 8:30 service. He was a member of our church from 1995 until 2002. My Dad.

The mills of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.

It took me years to understand what this saying means. It means that the trouble that you cause your parents, will come back to cause you trouble in time. It means that it takes a while for God to make things right, but eventually, He does.

You think one thing is going on, but there are other things going on. The mill is still grinding, making things even, making them right.

I am going to start saying this to my children. The mills of the Gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine. When God makes it right. it may take a while, but God always makes it right.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting how those "little things" our parents said and did "back then" annoyed us so. Interesting how those "little things" our parent said and did "back then" are now those things we remember most, sustain us often, and are what we say to our kids. I wonder if his dad said that to him?? I love the saying and believe it 100%. I have never heard it put that way but I like it too and want to pass it along!! Thanks for writing every single day!!

Bill Kenagy said...

Jeff,

This morning I am reflecting on my son's 20th birthday today and how we are going to enjoy an awsome day together. However I am reminded of the times I've sat heart broken watching him grow up and become a man, wishing, hopful that I could keep him from failure, pain and heartbreak. Yet God, in Gods wisdom is working slowly and methodicly, grinding away to mold us and shape us towards His perfecct will.

Peace