Thursday, April 30, 2009

problems with sermons

Well, there are tons of problems that can happen with sermons. I think that most people understand this.

1. You say something that you don't mean.

2. You have good notes, but you are working so hard on being connected with the people that you forget where you are and get lost in your notes and get off track.

3. There is a massive issue that you are trying to describe in 5 minutes, but you can't get it all done, so it doesn't come across right.

4. You worked on the sermon a bunch, but somehow it just didn't close as well as you thought it should.

5. You have some worry on your mind that is distracting you. you should be thinking about your sermon, but you are worried about a problem that you have or that someone else has.

6. You are just wrong about an issue.

Well, I know some pastors read this blog. If you can think of other reasons why sermons get goofed up, please post a comment. Tomorrow I am going to write a bit about some things that didn't come out quite like I intended on Sunday.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother in Christ, thank you for sharing from your heart about what pastors go through in their work, with regard to sermons.

Please know, in all sincerity, that your sermons consistently are an example of "what can go right." I pray you will be blessed with the same God-blessing and reassurance today, that you bless us with in your sermons.

Jeremy V. said...

Thanks Jeff. I agree with all of those. Amen. Recently I have been running up against the time thing. I don't enjoy the rush to finish. Cutting works, but sometimes it really demphasizes a huge point.
Overall, there are just little things that happen, usually distractions. It could be a situation from earlier in the week, or something someone said that day. Thanks. Peace, Jeremy

Anonymous said...

Pastor,
You need not worry about what goes wrong, the Holy Spirit holds the key. Think about it like the day of pentecost, every man heard it in their own language. You may not have thought you said it just right, but i heard it perfectly. I can not begin to tell you how powerful your messages are for me. Nearly consistently every week God has spoken something to me in my personal devotion that you expound upon come Sunday. It is the miracle of the Holy Spirit.
I am so thankful to God that he led me to this church, and that you are our Pastor. We are blessed.

Anonymous said...

pastor
you may not think you said it right, but I heard it perfectly. Think of it like the day of pentecost, every man heard it in his own language. The Holy Spirit is the key.
I can not begin to tell you how powerful your messages are. Almost consistently each week in my devotions God brings something to me, and Sunday i find you expounding upon it. That's the miracle of the Holy Spirit. I am so thankful to God that he led me to this church, and that we have you as a Pastor. We are truly blessed.