Saturday, April 18, 2009

singing birds

I awoke this morning to the song of the birds. I listened very carefully, because that is what my pastor asks me to do. There was no fear in their songs, only joy. And I say songs, because there were many different kinds of birds singing. Each song, though different, was beautiful. The songs all sort of combined to a cacophony, a symphony of praise.

Some one asked, "why does the caged bird sing?" There are several answers to this question, as it has been posed in literature and philosophy. My favorite answer is this: the caged bird sings because he has a song.

That's it. If you have a song, you have to sing it. That reminds me of the words of Oscar Hammerstein:

"A bell is not a bell until you ring it.
A song is not a song until you sing it.
And love was not put in our heart to stay.
For love is not love until you give it away!"
even if you feel like you are in a cage.
{I added that last line}

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today I heard the singing of the Jenny Wren, and he was scoping out one of my birdhouses. Spring is really here! Betty