Wednesday, June 17, 2009

dating

Are you dating? Are your children? Your grandchildren? Nieces, nephews, neighbors? All of us know someone who is dating. Silly me, I have some advice for anyone who may be willing to listen:

You can't change them. Forget it. It won't work.

If you want to marry a Christian, date a Christian.
If you want to marry someone with a sense of humor, then date people with a sense of humor.
If you want to marry someone that knows how to manage money, then date people who know how to manage money.

If you want to marry someone that knows how to work for a living, then date people who know how to work for a living. If you want to marry someone that will treat you with respect, then date people who treat you with respect.

If you want to marry someone who shares the values that you were raised with, then date people who share the values that you were raised with. If you want to marry someone that your parents will enjoy, then date people that your parents enjoy. [yes, they are out there.]

If you want to marry someone who attends church, then date someone who attends church. If you want to marry someone who will talk with you about common goals and working together in a relationship, then date people who will do so.

Don't marry someone who helps to fix the broken things within you. One day you will be whole, then you will see them for what they are and be done with them. Play to your strengths. See who you are now, and date people with common values.

I have said it before, the divorce rate is not the problem. The problem is that people are getting married for all the wrong reasons. May these simple words of advice be of help to someone who is on the journey of relationships and life.


It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So so so so so true. I tell my daughter this all the time. And considering the fact that I'm divorced I usually get that 'right mom like you know what you're talking about' look. But I do. I thought I could love him enough that he would eventually understand that it is possible to love and trust someone. I was so totally wrong.

Tonia