Saturday, June 20, 2009

Orbiting the Giant Hairball

I have started a new book titled, Orbiting the Giant Hairball. It comes recommended by the Bishop. It is supposed to be about finding and staying in touch with your creativity in the midst of a world that has some very defined and unyielding paradigms.

There is a quote in the front of the book that I really liked. Here it is.

Wean yourself.
Little by little, wean yourself.
This is the gist of what I have to say.

From an embryo, whose nourishment comes in the blood,
move to an infant drinking milk,
to a child on solid food,
to a searcher after wisdom,
to a hunter of more invisible game.

The author goes on........

Think how it is to have a conversation with an embryo. You might say, "the world outside is vast and intricate. There are wheat fields and mountain passes, and orchards in bloom. At night there are millions of galaxies, and in sunlight the beauty of friends dancing at a wedding."

You ask the embryo why he or she, stays cooped up in the dark with eyes closed. Listen to the answer [from the embryo]

There is no "other world." I only know what I've experienced. You must be hallucinating.
[the end]

Well, isn't that interesting. Kind of reminds me of what my mother used to say to me, "there is more Horatio than is dreamt of in your philosophy."

It's a beautiful day in God's world, don't stay cooped up in the dark with your eyes closed. Be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Lori Givan said...

Jeff -- I think it's cool that you're reading that book! I knew the author, Gordon Mackenzie, when he worked at Hallmark. He passed away a few years ago, but he was an amazing inspiration in the way he lived his life. His job title was "Creative Paradox" -- one he made up himself. I'm glad his ideas are living on. He really did practice the things he wrote about.