Monday, June 8, 2009

David Van Giesen

A comment on yesterday's post mentioned David Van Giesen. David was my District Superintendent for three years when we were appointed to Princeton. David's wife Priscilla worked at Woods Chapel for several years as a pastoral assistant when we were in the old building.

Everyone needs a mentor. David was mine for three years and then for many after that. He is a truly kind man with a heart for Jesus. I was full of energy and ideas when I met David and he was so patient with me. He knew just when to nod, just when to redirect, and just when to let me give it a try. His laugh was authentic and welcoming.

I am indebted for so much to this fine man. If you know David, tell him how much he is loved and appreciated. I told him at annual conference. You tell him too. Drop him a note if you get a chance. His address is

4504 English Ivy Ave.
Springfield, MO 65804

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the address. I will drop him and his wife a note. you and i are probably about the same age, and i think that when David came to our church as youth pastor, it might have been right out of school. Our youth group had so much fun those years. I remember one young lady in particular who really found the Lord during that time. Today she is the wife of United Methodist Church Pastor. The amazing difference one person can have in our lives. Debbie S

Anonymous said...

I sense that Annual Conference tends to rejuvenate you. It is obvious that it brings back many fond memories from the past and wonderful people who were there for you as a newly ordained pastor (probably still are) to support and encourage you along the way. We are blessed to have you as our pastor, Jeff.