Monday, June 22, 2009

a story from the sermon yesterday

There is a story that the pastor told in the sermon yesterday that really struck me. Here it is:

A story is told of a rabbi in a European village, who one day summoned the townspeople to the village square. He said he had an important announcement. The people gathered, but not without much grumbling at the inconvenience. The merchant resented having to leave his business. The wife complained because she had so many errands to run. But, out of respect, they went unwillingly to the town square. Each had to interrupt some part of their lives in order to make themselves present for the Rabbi. When the appointed time came and all were present, the rabbi said, "I wish to announce there is a God in the world." That was all he said. But the people understood. They knew they had been acting as if God did not exist.

The more I think about that story, the more profound I think that it is. Many many people that believe in God, live as if God does not exist. They go about their lives, making plans, entertaining themselves and their children, with no recollection or awareness that the God that they profess to believe in, even exists.

Hey friends, there is a God in this world! Let's live like we know this.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

H4EO said...

How many times have we been to a funeral and told children "That's not really Aunt Alice, that is only her body. The real Aunt Alice went back to live with the Lord."

When will we live like we believe what we say?

Believing that our choices have eternal ramifications is not how most of us were raised.

Yesterday you blogged about moving from "Did I get my share" to caring, loving, helping, and even seeing others as living souls.

Moving your focus from the temporal to the eternal - from the physical to the spiritual - from death to life - dare I say, "born again" to reveal the Kingdom.

Shall we live on earth like Aunt Alice in the box - or will we live like we believe Aunt Alice returned to the Lord. Better yet - What do we want our children to see from us?

There really is a God in the world!

Brogan's Bro said...

Sunday's sermon also reminded me of this song, thought I'd share it with others:

Third Day - Tunnel
From the album Wherever You Are

I won't pretend to know what you're thinking
I can't begin to know what you're going through
I won't deny the pain that you're feeling
But I'm gonna try and give a little hope to you

Just remember what I've told you
There's so much you're living for

Chorus:
There's a light at the end of this tunnel
There's a light at the end of this tunnel
For you, for you
There's a light at the end of this tunnel
Shinin' bright at the end of this tunnel
For you, for you
So keep holdin' on

You've got your disappointments and sorrows
You ought to share the weight of that load with me
Then you will find that the light of tomorrow
Brings a new life for your eyes to see

So remember what I've told you
There's so much you're living for

Chorus:

So remember what I've told you
There's so much you're living for

Chorus:

You've got your disappointments and sorrows
But, I’m gonna try to give a little hope to you