Sunday, June 14, 2009

a pretty good thing

I have some friends who tease me and they tell me that preachers have a pretty good gig. They only have to work one day a week, and they get all that vacation!

Although there are some painful things that happen, this is a great job. I used to say, about my job, that M-W-F you want to quit. T-Th-F, its the best job in the world, and Sunday, well on Sunday you just have to get up and preach. It doesn't matter how you feel. On Sunday, good or bad, you just have to preach. 4 weeks vacation and 2 weeks for continuing education, well, that is so pastors don't burn out or go crazy.

As the years go by, I have fewer days when I want to quit. I usually feel like the most fortunate preacher that you know. And I tell you this if you ask. But Sunday always comes, and you have to be ready to preach. That is one of the hard things about being a pastor of any size church. Every week there are people that expect you to say something meaningful, joyful, spiritual. Every week! For preachers, sometimes Sunday feels like it comes three times a week.

Here is the good news. God is with the preacher. Even if he or she feels inadequate, God is with them. When we are weak, then he is strong. So, even though the vessels are cracked and broken, the words of the Lord usually have a way of getting out.

Today is Sunday. The sermon is on faith. Let's go see how it all goes.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: