Monday, June 1, 2009

passages

I have to honest. I am in one. A passage. A major life passage. Inbetween where I was, and where I guess I will be. Inbetween the known and the unknown.

I have been at Woods Chapel for 15 years. My softball career is over. My youngest just graduated from highschool. This fall we will have three in college. I have a great joy and happiness for my kids, and a bit of a grief for myself as I try to figure out what is next in my life. I used to be the pastor with the cute young family. Not anymore. I am yesterday's news.

After August 15th when the kids go to college, the house will be very quiet. Cathy travels every week. So it will be me, two cats and a snaggle tooth dog. Sounds like a passage to me.

I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me. This is a natural part of life. It is just how it is. I am going to have to get used to it and figure it out. Life is good, even in the passages. We have to keep working hard to see the good. It is there.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

8 comments:

H4EO said...

The great profit Frank Zappa once said.(I think the book of Zappa is tucked in behind Obadiah but I could be wrong)

"Change is not only inevitable, it is necessary"

Anonymous said...

Should we start a small group--Passages? I know I'd join. It would be more fun than some of the "pity parties" I've been a part of in the past. And I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a small group very long.

If God allows us enough time on earth, we do get through the passages--and yes, life is good along the way.

Jan R said...

Yes, it will be a different life but you will be experiencing new joys as the pastor with the same joyous, loving and now even more accomplished family that you have now. I understand and empathize with all of your feelings except that you will NEVER be yesterday's news!! Rock on.....

Anonymous said...

Jeff,your little "birds" may fly from the nest, but trust me, they will always come back home! I speak from experience!!!! Love, Betty

Anonymous said...

Jeff, when everyone is gone it will be you, 2 cats, a snaffle tooth dog, and Jesus! He never leaves.

Anonymous said...

these passages are difficult, the older we get the more we seem to have. I can sure relate to what you are experiencing, it's never quite the same again.
On the other hand, your family will grow. You will have son-in-laws or daughter-in-laws..and you will love them. Then God gives you the sweetest reward on earth a grandchild. Expect good things.

Anonymous said...

Ditto the "yesterday's news" post . . . you may be in a passage but we love you and what you have to say is always fresh and interesting! :)

Anonymous said...

This must be a common theme amongst Methodist pastors. Adam Hamilton spoke about similar topics during his Mother's Day sermon, I'm sure you know how to view it. There will always be passages, to help me through theses I read "Who Moved My Cheese," by Spencer Johnson.