Thursday, July 9, 2009

8:30 am

Today at 8:30am Ryan Cunningham, age 7 will be having surgery to remove a brain tumor at Children's Mercy Hospital. Please pray for Ryan and his parents Dana and Michelle.

I was introduced to a flower child writer named Hugh Prather. In 1970 he published the book "Notes to Myself" subtitled, "my struggle to become a person." Thanks to Grace W for the introduction.

I was kind of taken by the message in the preamble:

If I had only forgotten future greatness
and looked at the green things and the buildings
and reached out to those around me and smelled the air
and ignored the forms and the self-styled obligations
and heard the rain on the roof
and put my arms around my wife

.......and it's not too late

The part I like the best about the quote is this: "and it's not too late." What a joyful reminder that I can truly live today if I just do it. I can change. I can be aware, awake, alive to those wonderful things around me. If you are too busy and life is living you....it's not to late. It's not to late to listen to the birds sing. If God gave you breath today, it is not too late. We can wake from our slumber and be alive to the gifts in God's world.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good. And pray for Ryan.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

This is a great message that I wish more people were receiving today and everyday.

The gift of life on this incredibly beautiful earth should be cherished and enjoyed to the fullest. I feel sorry for those people who simply exist without being aware of the true joys of life. I laid on a towel in the grass yesterday and watched my grandchildren play in a sprinkler. If only we all could retain that same zest for life and fun that children possess. Somewhere along life's journey, we tend to lose it. But you're right--it's not too late to stop and smell those roses and hear those birds. We can eat our lunch in a park or skip that trip to Walmart and go to a lake for an hour or so (there are plenty of them around here) or even take a short walk on the path at WCC--it's a beautiful place.

Enjoy God's most precious gift.

H4EO said...

Sharon said children possess a zest and fun for life. We all see how kids accept life with a grace and joy that adults struggle to maintain. Then we read Jesus said to come to him as little children and we get all entangled in a great thological disscussion.

Maybe somtimes our desire to understand takes us past the truth.

Thanks Jeff for Sundays message and your thoughts today.

It's not to late for us.

Ron said...

we are the world
heal the world
we are God's children