Monday, July 13, 2009

softball

I am 52 years old. I really should quit. I did quit last year. In October I hurt my knee again and I decided to hang up the cleats.

We started a new team this year and I was the coach. 9 games, I did not play. Last night though, we were short for the last game of the season and I played 2nd base.

Softball is good for church guys. New folks get to make friends, and everyone likes to pretend that they can still play. Some of them are very good, and then there are the 52 year olds.

Well I have to tell you about the game. We won 13-3. I caught a ball, booted a ball, threw a guy out at home, dove for a ball, was involved in several put outs at second, got two little dinky hits, ran the bases, and scored twice. That is a good game for an old man.

Today, I have scabs on both knees, a big bruise on my chest from diving, my right knee is screaming "replacement," and every muscle in my body is sore.

But O, was it fun. This is why people skydive. This is why they bungi-jump. I felt more alive playing ball then I have in a while. It was great, but I really should retire.

This week, do something that you don't think that you can do. Take a risk. Live life, don't let life live you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Love it, love it, love it!

One of the quotes on my fridg says, "Do one thing every day that scares you". I'm sure that playing softball didn't "scare" you, but it's obvious you had some concerns.
I'm leaving for Florida in the morning. I'll be jet skiing in the Gulf of Mexico. It always scares me, but the thrill is worth it. It's all about feeling alive. If I don't feel that way, what's the point?

Your wounds will heal, your bruises will go away, but you'll still have the memory of those two little hits, scoring a couple of times and how much fun you had while you were doing it.

I say, "keep it up".

fisher of men said...

Fellowship, competitiveness, jawing back and forth, exercise, teamwork, did I mention fun and exciting? I was also at that game last nightand that was just a few of the things I experienced last night. I have been playing Woods Chapel softball for around 14 years now, but last night I got to fill in for Jeff’s team. I met seven new friends and got to play with two others that I hadn’t played with for sometime including Jeff. Last night was a blast. I got to see a second baseman with first step cat like moves just like the “old days.” Although it quickly turned into a grimace and a limp, you couldn’t take the sparkle out of his eye.

Being around people, building new relationships and rekindling old ones made last night not just fun but made a great memory. I will always remember what might be Jeff’s “LAST” ball game where he fielded a ground ball and threw a strike to the catcher for an out at home (the bionic shoulder seems to be working well) and also the dive for the ball that ended in a barrel roll. We laughed, we cheered, we high fived, and we encouraged each other. I can’t think of a better way to be with new and old friends and have fun.

Even after all of these years the games we learned as children still bring us a sense of excitement and fun. When was the last time you “just played? “

Anonymous said...

You are cute and VERY good at telling stories!