Wednesday, July 15, 2009

what should I call you?

Recently someone asked a question that I get from time to time. "What should I call you?"

Pastor, Father, Reverend, Priest, Minister, or ?

Please don't call me what my wife calls me when she is upset with me. [joke]

Well, lets see. Priests are usually Catholic or Episcopal or Mormon, so no, don't call me a priest.

Father is also usually for a Catholic Priest. Don't call me father, except for my kids, they can call me father if they like, but I prefer Dad.

Reverend. Yes I am ordained and with that experience, comes the title. However, I do not like the word and prefer that you not use it. In fact, I would prefer than no pastors go by it. It makes a person sound special and holy in my opinion. I have met too many in my time that use the title and demand the respect. Well, you can't demand respect, it has to be earned.

Yes I am a minister. It is a great privilege. Pastor. Yes I am a pastor. You can call me pastor Jeff if you need to, but what I would prefer is just plain old Jeff. Now that I am on a roll, let me say something about being a pastor. The Bishop can assign you to a church, but that does not make you someone's pastor. The church can print your name with the title in the bulletin or you can have your name Pastor so and so put on the sign out front. None of this makes you someone's pastor. You become someone's pastor when they tell you that you are their pastor. When they decide that your love and care for them is deserving of the title. It cannot be taken to one's self, it is a gift from the people of your church.

I don't think Jesus went by any special titles. Teacher Jesus. Father Jesus. Pastor Jesus. I don't think God would refer to me as anything other than Jeff. My son Jeff. Just call me Jeff. It worked for my Mom.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very warm comments Jeff. True to the kind of life you live and the way you "do" ministry every day. I'm not sure you realize it, but pastors like you are a rarity.

Keep being who God has shown you to be. We love your transparency, and love calling you Jeff. We love it when you mix it up with members on the ball field. We love to watch you truly enjoy your own church experience. So you will never be "plain old Jeff." God has given you a special gift of "being," for Him.

Anonymous said...

Bartman calls me, "Reverend" or "Revvy" for short. I'm not going to say what I call him b/c he's kind of sensitive about it.

Paula