Tuesday, July 14, 2009

feelings

[there was this song] Feeeeeliiiinnngs, O, O, O feeliiings, O, O, feelines. Felines are cats.

I have been thinking more about feelings today. I have been reading an author that hits on feelings and I have also read some of what you guys wrote on the subject.

I am firmly of the belief that we can manage our feelings. Sometimes.......

We need to avoid situations and decisions that will get us into messes, which will bring the accompanying feelings. I also believe that when I let my feelings overtake me, I am done. What I need to do when I sense those angry or painful feelings is own them. Talk to them. See them for what they are. This is important. See them as different than me. Somehow that puts them in the place of feelings. They are not me, and I am not bound by them. It's just how I feel right now. It will pass.

When my feelings do not own me, reality has a chance. I can be aware of what God is doing in the world. I can hear the birds sing. I need to do more of that. It is a constant battle, but we are winning. I feel it in me, and I feel it in you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As a guy who is forever struggling to "control" his temper, I appreciate your thoughts here about angry/painful feelings.

Owning one's feelings and putting them in perspective does seem a wise course of action. But isn't that the heart of the problem? To act with such wisdom requires a rationality which often escapes me in the heat of the moment.

Sensing the build-up before there is a boil over, that's where I need to focus. Thanks again for the insight.

BTW...I imagined you singing "Feeeeeliiiinnngs" in a Yoda voice. Any feelings of anger/pain I felt melted away.

Catherine Franssens said...

Jeff,

This entry hit home today.

I had some happy feelings this morning/afternoon and then had sad/disappointed feelings tonight.

I was in control this morning/afternoon, but not tonight. I was blindsighted by a family member yet again.

After reading your blog I have decided that I'm turning this over to God before I sleep.

Prayers will be lifted tonight for you as well.

You are a blessing.

Your blog is a blessing.

Thank you for always taking time to create an entry in your blog. It's a ministry unlike any other.

Catherine