Tuesday, July 21, 2009

small church

What is the smallest church that you ever attended? The first church that I preached at had 6 people there. As I finished the sermon, 4 more showed up late. The pastor that had invited me to preach that night, now invited me to start over from the beginning, which I did. So I guess there were 10 people there.

Last night I visited with a church of 20 people. The church burned down in August last year and they are trying to decide what to do.

I have to tell you that they did such a good job articulating their mission and explaining what the church is about. They agreed to work together to come up with a plan that everyone could buy into. Because of the insurance, and pledges, they plan to pay cash.

Their spirit was inviting and among this group I felt the presence of Jesus.

The church is not the building. The church is the people. 6, 10, 20, 100 or 1000. Love them. Enjoy them. God has given us to each other for a short season in this journey of life.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are the fortunate ones. I was born with a disorder in the autism family and can not really connect with other people, regardless of how hard I try. Perhaps, God will give me a taste of it in the world to come.

May God bless you.