Sunday, July 5, 2009

attachment

My momma used to say, "no one makes you mad, you choose to be mad." How long do we have to live to get that one right?

I was upset about something the other day and I remembered what one of my favorite authors, Anthony Demello said, "if you are angry, there is usually something wrong with you." He also talks about attachment and detachment. When we identify too closely with one thing or another, we are attached to that person or thing. When they mess up, we feel messed up because we get ourselves confused with them.

When I can remember that I am not them, and I am not what they did, then I can get back to living this day that the Lord has given. Detached from the silliness of some event or decision, I am free to get back to who I really am. No one makes you mad, you choose to be mad. Thanks Mom, and thanks for having me 52 years ago today.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

God's blessings on your birthday, my friend. May you have many, many more!!! Love, Betty

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday. Enjoy your special day.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, please also thank you parents for all the rest of us. And, Happy Birthday.

Greg S said...

Happy Birthday! Best Wishes
GPS

Angie said...

My friend, I am behind this week on your blogs, so I started from teh top of the page & am finishing here. Can I just say -- there was a reason I hadn't read until today; I think God knew I needed to hear what you've said all at once - to remind me. It's not easy to change "me", but I am working on it & your blog helps me tremendously.
Thank you for seeing the good and sharing it with those of us that sometimes don't.