Monday, August 12, 2013

coffee

This is a left over story from the redwoods trip.  It is my last night of the trip and I have gravitated to a hotel in San Carlos.  It is morning and I am going to get some breakfast.  I want to bring it back to the room to eat so that I can log in and watch our worship on live-streaming.  [which was pretty cool.]

So I am heading up to the door to my hotel room.  A plate of eggs and sausage, a bowl of fruit sitting in the plate......... in my other hand, two cups of coffee one on top of the other.

Do you see what is getting ready to happen?  It is the moment of truth.  I can do this.  I cradle the two coffees on my left arm while holding the plate of food in my left hand.  I reach in my pocket for the room key. 

Oops.

It all comes apart.  I save most of it, but one cup of coffee pops open, spills down the only clean pair of jeans that I have left and crashed to the floor.  Of course there happens to be a family of four walking down the hall as this happens.  I can hear them snicker.......

I get in the room, collect myself and put on a pair of shorts.  I let the pants dry, thinking that the coffee wont stain the jeans.  [my wife laughs at that part]

Breakfast was great, the live stream worship was great, and the jeans are stained.  Now this is where the story takes a turn for the better.

I want to wear these jeans home.  The others that I have are too dirty to be wearing on a plane all day.  So I am thinking Laundromat.  I look some up.  I think about how to get there and the amount of time all of that will take.  Then I remember....... lots of people still wash their clothes manually.  We saw some of that in Nicaragua.

So, I filled up the hotel room sink, got the stained part of the jeans very wet and soaped it up with a bar of soap.  I scrubbed and scrubbed.  Then I rinsed them out and let them dry.  A few hours later, you would have never known that I embarrassed myself in the hallway of the hotel by spilling coffee all over myself- except that I have just told you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No. 2 hysterical post from your trip. That stay the last day and 1/2 out is getting to be comedy central.

Thanks for sharing your new laundry tip.