Monday, August 19, 2013

rejection

Rejection is a very powerful and painful experience.  I have recently been visiting with some adults whose upbringing was one long period of rejection.  They spent their growing up years wondering what was wrong with them and working hard to make everyone happy.  They were constantly seeking approval.

Moving out and getting on their own as young adults was an improvement, but now they faced a world where they expected to be rejected.  They also began to look upon others as they had been raised, constantly expecting others to straighten up.  This way of living life never goes very well.

After a while these adults realized that something was amiss, but it took years to work through it.  Thinking, asking, praying, dancing, wondering, feeling angry, looking beyond, hoping for better.  Finally they begin to emerge from the mist and fog and begin to understand life as a celebration.  No longer a fearful worrying about whether or not they were good enough, but a joyful dance of God's love.

I am talking about me and  my sisters.

If you can relate to any of this, I pray for you.  I am never going to say that I have, or we have arrived, but it is wonderful when a person finally starts to understand that they are worth loving.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a long and painful journey. I'm thankful for the opportunity you three have had to work through some of this.

The best is yet to come. Time for dessert after the big meal of life. And if you ever have future moments of doubt about whether you are "accepted" just ask your church family and they will quickly reassure you.

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

This post really speaks to my heart as I have not only been rejected but also abandoned by someone I truly trusted. However, it is through my trials that I have learned that God will always be there for me and I won't ever be alone. He has provided for me even in my darkest hours and sometimes when I didn't even realize it. I am also very grateful for how he has worked through others for my good. What an awesome feeling to know the power of our Lord! Remember to see the rainbow.