Friday, August 9, 2013

Ten Reasons

At the end of my redwood trip, I scheduled a stay at a hostel.  I usually spend the last day 1/2 in San Francisco and the cheap Marina District hotels that I stay in have become more expensive each year. 

So.... I went on line and found this hostel.  It was $50 a night cheaper, even with a private room.  I arrived to check in and found one disaster after another.

Ten reasons why I will not stay at a hostel again:
1.  the parking is free, but it is four blocks from the building.
2.  there are signs everywhere about securing your belongings, so much so that you now are worried about who is staying in the place with you.
3.  lockers are provided to lock up your valuables, but you must buy a lock from them.
4.  The private room that I rented was about 10 x 10 and I think the ceiling was 7 foot.  There was no desk in it, so the whole purpose of my trip [reading and writing] was a bit derailed.
5.  Breakfast is free if you are ok with a bagel and a banana.  Be ready to wash your own dishes.
6.  The room they gave me was under the cafeteria, so at 5am when breakfast starts, you can hear the chairs sliding and banging above your head.
7.  The room they gave me shared a wall with the men's room.  All night long when a toiled flushed, you could feel it vibrate the walls.
8.  The rest room is shared, which did not bother me until I went to shower, then all of my wife's germa-phobe stories came to my mind.
9.  Since your room is next to the bathroom, all night long you get to listen to people walking by the your door, some laughing to use the bathroom.
10.  The final straw was the stairway that ran outside the room.  I should have taken a picture.  It was comical.  The windows in my room were high, but there was a stairway that ran from a patio out back to the cafeteria.  Anyone climbing the stairs could see right into your room, and they did.
11.  No air-conditioning.

That's the last straw.  I called my wife.  She set me up in a Fairfield in San Carlos.  It cost $50 more to stay there, but oh my, it was well worth it.  Isn't it funny when some of our worst moments are self-created, self-inflicted.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is hysterical, but sad. Next year on the Sunday before you leave, we'll have a little basket at the Missions desk, for donations to Jeff a real room at the Marina. We can also arrange to have a few hotel chain marketing people there to give you the big sell. You should have gone off and been a stowaway on one of the boats docked at the marina. As always, wives come to the rescue. Good job Cathy.