Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Choose

From my friend Pat...

I went camping and floating this weekend on the Big Piney. (Dan Horn and I share a love for this river) It’s a “close to heaven” experience for me.

I love rivers. A river is tranquil, in part because it always knows where its going and has no doubts about what’s next. I can sit by the river and watch it go by: its motion with unwavering purpose, and that’s comforting. I don’t have to do anything.

Floating, being in the river, requires balancing gear, work (paddling), navigation of downed trees,
debris, rapids, shallows, and so on. Decisions made, effort asserted, choices made, risks taken. I have to do a lot.


Life, like a river, is always beautiful from far away. Up close it can be challenging, and sometime not so lovely. But if you want to be in life, if you want to have an impact, you have to jump in, do the work, and make choices. You have to suffer the stress of the rapids.

Christ calls us to get in the game. Its not always easy; it requires work, it requires choices, painful ones at time. But its what he has called us to do.

We all have to chose what we will do with a river, and with life. Not making a choice is a of course, a choice. At the end of the day, if you’re still on the river bank, you’ve not gone anywhere, you’ve buried the time, the treasure given you.

Choose.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: