Sunday, September 23, 2018

community

Not too long ago we had a funeral for a friend.  Although I had only known the man for a year, I loved him.

He had an ornery dry sense of humor.  The first day that I met him was the first Sunday that I preached at Ft. Pierce.  He came up after the service with his lovely wife and said, "I don't know what these other people thought of that, but I thought it was the worst sermon I have ever heard."

Then he gave a small smirk.  He was of course kidding.

He had me at hello.  I loved him.  So did lots of other people because the church was packed.  More people came to Stan's funeral than come to hear about Jesus on Easter Sunday.

Stan reached for people, and they loved him.  He had a community.

Forgive me, but I am now going to make this about me.  Sometimes in order to see the good, you have to acknowledge what painful thing is holding you back.

His funeral is exactly what mine should be like, but it won't be.  I have moved away from my community of 22 years and it is very difficult to replace.  My closest friends, my pall bearers, still live in Kansas City.  We had groups and friends and peeps.  We had something to do and someone to do it with any time of the day or night.

It originated at the church, but it became much bigger than the church.  It included lots of folks that had no connection to the church.

And now here we are, alone in Florida.

I thank all of my new friends in Ft. Pierce that reach out to me.  I hope that these relationships can continue to grow.....
I so appreciate each of you that love me.

From time to time we have to keep reminding ourselves that....

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: