Saturday, September 29, 2018

Owl Picture

So I am on a cruise with my friend Dave. Actually I invited all of my real friends, Bill, Bruce, Jim, Paul, Karen [just kidding] Steve, Ed and Bobby. None of my friends could go so I asked Dave.

Dave is a good man. I learned on this cruise that he snores and sleeps a lot.

Anyway, I am drinking coffee in the café on deck 8. I am alone because Dave is still asleep. We have just docked at this little island in the Bahamas. Later today we will get off the ship, wade on the beach and pay for food and drinks that we could have had for free had we stayed on the ship.

So I am drinking coffee and reading a book in the café on deck 8. A cute little owl lands on the railing just outside of the window. I reach in my pocket to take out my phone to take a picture of him and my room key falls out. I snap one lousy picture and a well meaning cruise person from who knows what country taps me on the shoulder and says, you have dropped your room key…..

I said thank you, but what I wanted to say was leave me alone, you jerk, I am trying to take a picture of this owl before he flies away. My room key savior notices the owl, he says, look at owl! He gestures towards the owl and it gets spooked and flies away.

I wanted to punch the guy in the head. I was all ready to be entered into the annual Audubon Society photo contest and he had to mess things up.

Anyway if that is the worst that happens to me today, it is a beautiful day. By the way, that is not a bad way to look at things…. If that is the worst that happens, we are ok. I once knew a man and wife whose baby died. Later they had another. When this baby was born the doctor came out and said, your baby has a deformed foot. The man said, that is all? Baby is ok other than that? Ok, we can live with that. If that is the worst that happens, we are ok.

Probably the things that are happening to us are not as critical, not as horrible as we first think. I will have other opportunities to take other pictures of birds.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: