Thursday, September 20, 2018

No Fear

My friend Pat wrote in....

The bible is filled with four letter words. Not THOSE kind of four letter words, actually worse ones. Like Fear.

One of the demons throughout scripture is fear. The shepherds in the field see a bright blinding light in the night. The first words they hear are “Don’t be afraid”(i.e. fearful). The disciples are afraid because of the storm. They are afraid because they see Jesus walking on water. Peter denies Christ three times, as predicted, because he is afraid.

All things that make sense to me: if I saw someone walking on water, it would open my eyes. And a bright light in the middle of the night with a booming voice that comes from nowhere would jack my heart rate right through the ceiling. How about you?

We all have plenty to fear, and we do it every day, even worse we do it in the middle of the night. Sometimes we call it “concern”, sometimes “apprehension”, sometimes “worry”. But it’s omnipresent. (“why did I say that?”; “Wonder why I wasn’t’ invited”; “Will I get to work on time?”; ) Our political commercials today are all about fear, attempting to scare us one way or another.

Fear gets in the way of our relationship with God. Rather than focus on what God can do(which is pretty expansive), fear makes us focus on what it seems God cannot do: protect us from what we fear. The disciples, all of us, fail when we trust our fear more than we trust God.

Jesus did not come to frighten you. His teachings are not designed to harm you.

In the middle of the night, when those fear demons are at their worst, remembering this fact can help you go back to sleep.

It does for me.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: