Friday, September 28, 2018

Sunday Morning Words

I put this sticker in my Bible when I was 25. 
Just a few years ago. 
It used to say, "Lord fill my mouth
with worth while stuff-
and nudge me when I've said enough."
A few months ago, my friend Hubert Neth had an article in the monthly Missouri Methodist Magazine.  They still send it to me... I am glad to get it but I expect to be cut off at any moment. 😡

Anyway Hubert was writing about a man in his parish years ago that made a significant life change.  When Hubert asked the man about how he came to that decision, the man replied, "it was from listening to his sermons on Sunday morning."

Hubert then wrote, "That was a sobering moment for me, I could get up on Sunday morning, go say my words then go home and lay on the couch and watch a football game.  For this man, those words led to a decision that altered the course of his life."

That story stuck with me.  Any preacher worth his or her salt will tell you that we sometimes struggle to come up with the right things to say.  [If your preacher thinks that they always hear from God, you should run the other direction...] Sunday can be a trying time for a preacher.  My words- are they my opinion or do they reflect something from God?  How can we really know?  They are usually things that I have thought about for months or years.

Yes, we preach the words and then go home to lunch and a nap.  But maybe, just maybe those words will fall into a person's heart in just the right way and they will make a change for the better.

It is a very sobering thought.  Oh Lord, may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: