Tuesday, September 18, 2018

We don't just teach, we also learn

My friend Brian wrote in...

Regarding the entry on expressing love I wanted to note some of the things I have learned about love since I became a grandfather 4+ years ago. 

Of course babies express love in nonverbal ways that we can enjoy if we just look for them.  But the real lessons begin when they become infants. My granddaughter would not say I love you very often after she became verbal even though I made sure to say it to her frequently. (Like you I come from parents and grandparents who did not express those things well.  This is part of the reason that I have worked to make sure my spouse, kids and grand kids hear it often from me). 

As it turns out my granddaughter prefers to understand something before she will say it regularly. For that reason she asked a lot of questions about what love is and how it works. She is now comfortable telling me she loves me and it means a lot more than just some rote expression. 

It’s also interesting to hear her reaction when I tell her that I love her. She sometimes she smiles and says “I know that” or “of course you do”. As I have thought about those responses I have come to believe that they mean that the love is working well for us. She still likes hearing it but she knows it is a part of her life and always will be. 

Like many people, I thought I would be teaching my grand kids things of value and I believe I am but it is really fascinating what I am learning from them as well. Next time I see them I think I will hug them and thank them for what I am learning. I will also say I love you and I will mean it!

Jeff comments....
What are you trying to teach in this life?  What are you trying to pass on?  What are you learning?  Who do you learn from?

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: