Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Prodigal Son/Prodigal's Father

My friend Pat sent this in...

So I was thinking about the Prodigal Son this morning, more specifically about his father. Often when I hear or read this parable, I immediately think of the father as God. Its a drumbeat that we hear from the time we first are introduced to religion: Father = God.

But what if the father in the parable isn’t God. What if YOU are the father in the story, or at least YOU as you should be.

The Parables tell us how we should act. If you let them, a parable will stir you to contemplate how you act. Most of us don’t think these lessons are meant for us: they’re for my spouse, or kids, or that other guy who isn’t in church today - - Which is not true, because in spite of our assumptions about ourselves, we need to rehear these directions, regularly. 


For example, I don’t that believe skin color affects my judgement, yet I know in certain situations, race defines my behavior: I react differently to a group of young blacks than young whites. I have to remind myself not to judge others by the color of their skin.

And it’s the same with the Prodigal Son: I have to work to find ways to bring people together rather than to take the easy way out and draw lines between us.

You see, I want those, for whom I have been the prodigal son, to work equally hard at accepting me.


It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Wesley's Ireland with optional London Extension
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#.WqHrI7puLIU

Holy Land Tour - includes my favorite spots
with optional Jerusalem extension
March 4-13, 2019

No comments: