Monday, July 19, 2021

jumpy

Do you ever get jumpy?

There is a recycle center about a mile from us.  I am there three times a week.  They have a plastic rat on the steps to their office.  I know it is there.  I have seen it 100 times.  But every time I see it, I jump.  I recoil.  And then I catch myself and think, what is wrong with me???

Two years ago I was trimming a tree.  A big branch came down and in the sticks and such there was a snake.  He had crawled up the tree and died or died in the branch fall.  I picked him up with a stick and put him on the driveway.  I told myself... "you know he is there, don't be startled."  But every time I drug a branch to the truck, I saw the snake and I jumped.

Some years ago I did a wedding at the Loretto on 39th street.  The wedding coordinator pinned a big flower on my suit lapel.  When I was leaving the wedding, there were big grasshoppers jumping around.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw the flower and I jumped like an Olympian.  I swatted that grass hopper off of my suit, only to realize that it was not a grasshopper, it was the boutonniere.

So now I have this cut on my hand, this scab on my hand from moving the couch.  I cannot tell you how many times in the last few days I have caught that scab out of the corner of my eye and thought it was a bug.  I even hit myself once.

We shouldn't be so jumpy.  Everything is ok.  Don't laugh at me.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

Click here for the cruise brochure

No comments: