Saturday, July 17, 2021

On seeing the good

I think it is odd that some days I wake up happy, for no reason.  Although I have many reasons to feel happy, some days I wake up extraordinarily happy for no particular reason.  Other days, for no reason, I wake up on the wrong side of the bed.  Grouchy boy.  Grouchy old man.

The other day I had a reason to be grouchy.  An acquaintance asked me to move a couch for them.  When you own a truck, this stuff happens.  I agree to help him.  On the day of the move, I find out that the couch is an hour away.  Uggg!!!  Then we get to the house and the couch is a power recliner, a very heavy couch.  My friend is 80, so I have to figure out how to get this out of the house, into the truck, out of the truck and into his house, by myself.  Thank God I have a dolly.

Since I was expecting a light move, I did not wear my typical work clothes [work shorts and a tank top], I wore my nicer Florida gear which includes a fishing shirt and nicer shorts.  Well, I sweat like a pig.  I don't know if the sweat and the stink will ever come out of those clothes.

Now the kicker, I cut my hand during the loading and it would not stop bleeding.  [look at that old man crepe skin]

Here is the good news... I wanted to complain to him.  I wanted to scold him.  I wanted to pitch a fit.  Then I told myself.  Jeff, you will get this done.  See the good.  You are helping a friend.

For once, I held my tongue.

We got the couch [I got the couch] unloaded and delivered.  If you are facing a day with many challenges, hold your tongue.  You will be glad that you did.  And always keep band-aids in your vehicle.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022. If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

Click here for the cruise brochure

No comments: