Monday, August 5, 2024

Leave it better

I loved my Dad.  I miss my Dad.  He passed on Feb 2, 2002.  I can tell you that I appreciate him more and more as the years go by.

One of the things that he ingrained in me was this... "always leave a thing better than you found it."  If someone loans you their car, return it cleaned and full of gas.  If they loan you a shovel, return it cleaned and oiled.  [a shovel oiled?  that is a discussion for another day.]  What ever people do for you, try to return it better than you found it.

Do not be a consumer of other people's things.  Bless them back for the gift of whatever they loaned you.

And so I was out of town on a work trip.  I was in Lexington, KY.  The rental truck was awesome.  But I noticed that the passenger side floor mat was encrusted with what looked to me like salt.  I didn't do it.  I didn't cause it.  I have no idea how it got there.


But my Dad's words... there was no way that I was going to leave it like that...

So I took the floor mat out. I took it up to the room and gave it a bath.  It shall be returned to Enterprise rental as my father requested... better than I found it.



I always feel good when I make an intentional decision to act in this way.  May we all leave the world better than we found it.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: