Sunday, April 6, 2008

bad dreams

I usually sleep pretty well, but everyone has bad dreams. I had this one 2 nights ago.

It was Easter Sunday. Everything was going wrong. Everyone that was supposed to do something, including me, had forgotten what they were supposed to do. Finally I realized that it was time for the 8:00 service to start. Past time. It was 8:15. I rushed into the room and realized that I was dressed in Saturday clothes. Jeans, tennis shoes, sweatshirt and a hat. I took off the hat and straightened my hair the best that I could. I was disheveled.

It was time for the sermon to start. My sermon notes were in the most remedial of conditions. They were far from ready to preach. Betsy was working on the sound. We couldn't get my microphone to work, then suddenly, it was blasting loud.

I could not remember from my notes what the sermon was going to be about. I decided on the fly to preach from John 3:16. I couldn't find my bible. I borrowed someone else's. Their bible had books in it that I had never heard of before. I couldn't find John.

The congregation was restless. People were murmuring and looking around. Things were not going well.

Finally I woke up. What does all of that mean? I don't know. Probably the pizza that I ate last night. Maybe a little bit of "fear of failure" in there somewhere. At any rate, what ever happens at church today, it is probably going to be better than my dream.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not sure what it means either, but it occurred to me that it takes the cooperative spirit of a lot of people to make "Easter Sunday Service" or any other happen. It's God's work through a multitude.
At any rate, at least the 1010 service was full of energy, and was alive with expectation of a glorious day!
Blessings,
G.