Tuesday, April 15, 2008

how about a catch?

Yesterday I was on vacation. I took Lou the dog in for his rabies shot. He met a lot of big dogs there in the waiting room. He was really wanting to show them who was boss.

I bought some plants at Lowes. A dwarf aspen fir, some purple grass and an azalea. The azalea has very pretty red flowers. The grass I don't get. Pompas grass. It looks like stuff that I pulled out of the flower bed last week.

I made my son dinner. Four whole fried chickens and a coke. No really, he ate eight eggs, four pieces of toast and some sausage. He keeps getting bigger. Nothing lasts in the pantry around here very long any more.

After dinner, I asked him if he wanted to play catch. We dug out the old gloves and threw the ball in the street. It has finally happened. He is taller, stronger, and faster than I am. He can throw it, hit it, and catch it better than I can. Heck, I struggled a bit just to see the ball.

There are some things in life that are therapeutic for reasons that no one can explain. Sitting by the fire, listening to running water, watching the waves at the beach, a sunrise, a bird in flight. Playing catch is one of those things. A boy and an old man are mesmerized by the sheer joy of catching and throwing. For a few moments, the old man is a young man and the boy is a child.

I thank God for the great privilege of being a father.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

5 comments:

the fly said...

thank you.

Anonymous said...

How touching. Know that I was thoroughly moved to tears. What a blessing to know there are men who feel the humility of parenting. So many fathers never feel the privelege that humility brings. Thank you,
A humble mother

Michelle Oberbroeckling said...

I love the fo' fried chickens and a coke

Anonymous said...

Jeff right on brother.
Just last night Aaron had T-Ball practice and we've been playing catch since he was 3....Alex my 15 year old and I still go out and play catch and just like you and Scott its like, man were'd this guy come from....There is something about playing catch that in and of itself is calming..your sons open up..some of the best conversations I've had with my 3 sons were during throwing the football or the baseball. I'm helping coach Aarons T-ball team and my heart breaks for the boys whose dads aren't there and the boys don't even know how to throw or catch or hit...yet...but the delight in their eyes and in their mothers eyes that someone is teaching their son is such a reward I can't describe it...seeing "thankyou" in someones eyes that does'nt know what to say..goes along way. (I know you've seen it countless times) I think my sons have seen this, Alex has commented over the years...where are the dads? I think it makes them appreciate their life that much more as well. I too thank God for the great privlege of being a Father....and it makes me think... with all the love I have for my sons...how much our Father in heaven loves us.

Lion's Den Man said...

Hey Dad. Do you want to have a catch? (Field of Dreams)

Anyone who has seen this movie remembers those words. Anyone who doesn't shed a tear when watching it needs to ask themselves why? Thanks Paul for the comments.........Brother you seen it well and it is easy to see it in you. Anyway, if anyone goes back and reads old post and comments I hope they watch this clip from Field of Dreams. My kids bought me the movie for fathers day a few years back after they saw how much it meant to me one night while I was watching it on television. We took a trip to "The Field" a few weeks later and played a little ball. Priceless memories, for them, and me, much like I have of my father............cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XS2UtAlmX4

Peace,
Lion's Den Man