Saturday, April 5, 2008

a better place

Yesterday I planted two trees. My wife thinks that we have enough trees, but do you ever have enough trees? A flowering crab apple with beautiful red leaves and a Cleveland pear. Awesome trees.

Once upon a time, a father and a son were planting a tree. The son asks, "Dad when is the best time to plant a tree?" The father answers, "fifty years ago..............but the second best time to plant a tree is today."

I planted 30 tulips. I separated and moved some sedum. I pulled some weeds, filled in some areas that needed dirt, and put down a little mulch. I fixed two sprinkler heads and moved some mums. The backyard is a better place today, because of what I did yesterday.

Every day, we have a chance to make the world a better place. To leave it a little better than we found it. It is hard to do that when we are only thinking about ourselves, but it is very easy to do if you just open your eyes and look for opportunities.

Pick up some litter. Help a neighbor unload something heavy. Mow someone else's grass. Send a note of thanks. Send a note of encouragement. Wave at someone when you are driving. Volunteer at church. Let someone borrow your stuff. Overtip the waitress. I mean server.

Take someone to lunch that is hurting. Spend some time with someone who thinks they don't matter. Play catch. Hug a neck. Smile.

Plant a tree.

Leave the world a better place. It really isn't that hard.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: