Friday, April 4, 2008

copper fittings

I was on the way home from work, it was about 4:45. I turned onto Anderson from Lakewood Blvd. There were several cars stopped in the middle of the road. Slowly, they made their way on, one at a time. As I came to the front of the line, I saw what the hold up was. A young workman had a box of copper fittings fall out of the back of his pickup truck. There were hundreds of copper and brass fittings, and the plastic clips with nails, that hold copper lines into the wall. They were strewn all over the road.

I passed thru carefully, and immediately thought about how long it would take the young man to pick them all up. As I drove on towards home, I felt worse and worse. I knew I had to go back and help.

I turned around at the corner of Velie Road and headed back. In a few moments, I was back at the site, now there were many cars backed up. I pulled up behind the young man's truck and began to help pick up the fittings.

Out into traffic, pick up a few. Let the next car go by. Make sure that the cars see you. Pick up some more fittings. Every nail must be picked up. A school bus has stopped. She is going to wait until we are finished. The presence of the bus causes every driver to be very careful. Thank you to that bus driver.

In a few minutes, all the fittings were picked up. I headed for the car. The young man spoke his first words, "thank you." I nodded. I got into the car, turned right and headed home through Northgate Crossing.

I am so glad that I decided to go back and help. I almost didn't. There have been other times when I could have helped someone, but drove on instead. This time I went back. I am glad that I did. It felt so good to help. I thanked God for the opportunity.

I don't want all of you wandering around in traffic, but maybe today you will find someone who needs your help. Don't drive by on the other side, stop and help. It will only take a few moments, and you will be glad that you did.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are here to remind me.
When you strip away several layers of stuff, helping people in this way is at the core of being a Christian. (in my mind)
Thanks for taking time to write every day. I read daily but need to reply more often to let you know I am thankful for you.
eb

Anonymous said...

There are times in our lives when we take a second to help someone. Sometimes we are busy, but we make the time . . . even if it's only to hold the elevator or open the door for a mom with a stroller or pick up nails out of the street. Thanks, Jeff, for reminding us to take the time. It warms my heart to hear your stories :)

Anonymous said...

It is sure easier to go on by but there is nothing any of us can do that will make a greater impact on one of God's own at that moment. Thanks, Pastor, for reminding us.

Anonymous said...

Pastor, we drove by you that day on our way home and my 9-year old son immediately saw you and said - "Mom, that's Pastor Jeff." I commented that he looks as if he is helping someone. Then I later read my son this blog excerpt and he replied that you were showing how great of a pastor you were by helping. But - I told him you were showing how great of a "person" you were by helping, and that every person can show God's love this way, not just pastors. Thanks for the examples you pass on even to the children in the car.

Lori