Monday, April 7, 2008

being too hard on yourself

A friend posted a comment that suggested that I was too hard on myself. That makes me feel good. Someone is trying to take care of me. Thank you. Thank you very much. Sometimes they are right, I am too hard on myself.

On the one hand, we can beat ourselves up worrying about everything that we do. The other end of that extreme is not to care about how we live.

If we don't care about how we come across, we can be very hurtful to others. I guess if I had a choice of being a little hard on myself or of not caring how I came across, I would prefer to be a little rough on myself.

Shoot at the moon, hit the sky. Shoot at the sky, hit the ground. The desire to succeed, the desire to do one's best. also brings with it the worry of how well we are doing. I don't mind being too hard on myself from time to time. I do want to be careful about pushing myself too hard.

There is a place in the hearts of men and women where two philosophies meet. "The unexamined life is not worth living" vs celebrating life. The fearless moral inventory vs seeing the good. So, I hope you see that we can accomplish great things when we have great expectations. We just should not drive ourselves crazy along the way.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naturally in our human form we all feel this way from time to time.
I have a little note on my work bench from 2 Timothy 2:15

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed"

Seeing it dailey and remembering the HOLY Spirit does not want me to waste one moment in sorrow and to just let those unhappy thoughts float on out of my mind and replace them with thoughts of our Father in Heaven who loves me more than I deserve or can imagine....
tends to brighten the moment.

Some real smart person said:

"The highest courage is to dare to be yourself in the face of adversity. Choose right over wrong, ethics over convenience, and truth over popularity... these are the choices that measure your life.
Travel the path of integrity without looking back, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing."