Monday, April 28, 2008

silly joys

Yesterday.
Church, lunch and a nap.
Say goodbye to the college girls.
Go to Steinmart.
Family Bookstore.
Evening service.
Church softball.

Well, you just have to try to understand a 50 year old man. I am so happy. And it is for something that is so frivolous in the grand scheme of things.

Church softball has started back up. I missed the first week because I was sick. Last night was my first night of 2008. Our team was short players, so my son Scott was going to join us.

When we moved here in 1994, I was 36 and Scott was 3. Last night, I was 50 and little Scotty was 17. I told him before the game, don't worry about how well you do, just have fun. If you hit the ball every time, or if you strike out, just enjoy yourself.

Well, let's talk about the old man for a minute. Batted 4 times. 3 hits and a walk. A single and two doubles. The old man hit the ball over the left fielder's head. That is only the third left fielder to gain that distinction since 1994. I know all three of them by name. A good night for the old man.

Now back to the son. I have never ever hit a ball over the fence for a home run, never ever in my life. Last night was a good night for the son.

He caught every ball that came to him in the outfield. Four of them. He came to the plate for his first at bat. First pitch, he hit the ball over the fence for a homer. Later in the game he would hit another ball out of the park.

I know this is only church softball, but feeling proud of your son is an awesome thing. I was so excited for him. Every one kept talking about how little Brinkman is so much better than his father. That is awesome.

Small things. Silly things. But things that make us feel good.

I am so thank full to God for the ability to play ball. At my age, it is a miracle. I am so thankful for the joy of being a father. He was 3 when we moved here. He used to play on the slide when we went to the softball park. Now, he is a home run king!

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like "Mr Brinkman" might be more appropriate than "little Brinkman". You know, when thinking about what kind of Church we want to be, we might think twice about using a "ringer" in a Chruch league. Kind of sends the wrong message:) way to go Scott!
eb

Lion's Den Man said...

Headline:
With the start of the new WCC softball season, the focus has not been on team statistics, fellowship or even a blue championship t-shirt, but rather the problem of steroid abuse within the league. Stories about athletes and steroids seem to pop up regularly in the news. Some professional baseball players, cyclists, and track stars have been accused of — and in some cases have admitted to — using steroids to give them an edge competitively. Now it seems the steroid use has trickled down to church softball leagues, too.

Of course I am not talking about the “kid” who eats like a horse and has joints as pliable as a Gumby doll. And I don't think it's in the water. I say check the old man’s medicine cabinet if you want answers.....more to follow.

Lion's Den Man said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Does your son read this blog?? If not, he should definitely read this entry . . . what a warm feeling it would give him to read such a great story written by no one other than his dad!!

Send him the link! ~kb