Monday, September 22, 2008

The Bucket List

Last night my dear wife and I sat down to enjoy a movie together. We selected a comedy, "The Bucket List."

It's not a comedy.

I was expecting to laugh, and there were a couple of times, but mostly, I cried. I cried for broken relationships, meaningless lives, and mortality. Jack Nicholson so reminded me of my father. Crusty on the outside, warm on the inside, he could never quite figure out how to let the real him out.

For someone who thinks about eternity a lot, it surprised me that the mortality theme bothered me. Maybe I was just expecting a comedy and was not ready to sit down to those themes. It brought back some painful memories that I guess I was not expecting to think about.

We like to think we are going to live forever, but somewhere along the way, we have to learn to live with our humanity. And so I am thankful for a loving God who sent a Savior.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have a problem. The attendance at church and the Connecting Fair was shameful yesterday!

There are many ministries in our church, along with a growing congregation but every single week there is a call for volunteers and no one steps up. OR the same people step up.

We have new member after new member, but holes in Missions, Children's Events, choir, etc. It seems Woods Chapel is becoming a place that is easy to attend when it is convient (no Chiefs/soccer) or a good place to give money.

Why is it so hard for people to give of their time, but they are more than happy to take?

You asked where will we put the next 300 people in a blog, maybe we should ask how will we 'serve' the next 300 people.