Saturday, September 20, 2008

Leaders and change

I read something very interesting last week in the book Grace-Full Leadership. "Leaders don't inflict pain, they bear it." I really like that statement. It reminds me that power should never be abused. The truth is that God gives us power so that we can do good in his name.

As I think about the quote though, I can think of one time that a leader can and should, rightly inflict pain. A good leader knows how to carefully inflict upon a people "the pain of change." We hate change. It is so traumatic and disruptive. However, nothing stays the same forever, and sometimes [almost always] finding the preferred future involves change.

So, may I never inflict pain upon you unless it is the pain of positive change. May we always see and welcome the pain of change as a precursor to our preferred future.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: