Sunday, September 14, 2008

a great moment

I don't get very many days like yesterday. I had two weddings at night, but the day was pretty slow. The sermon was ready, it was too wet to work in the yard, so I just camped out and did very little. That is actually a good thing.

When we were in seminary they told us that when you go to someone's home, make sure that the dogs and the kids like you. If the dogs and kids don't like you, it is not going to be a good visit. If the dogs and kids like you, then eveyone will think you are ok. Good advice.

There was a great moment during one of the weddings. The wedding is at the person's home. [they go to our church, but wanted a wedding at home.] Chairs are set up in the living room. There is a bit of a center isle. It is time to start. The music plays. The attendant comes in. The flowergirl comes in. She is 2 1/2 years old and is carrying a little basket of flowers. She walks right up the center isle, walks right up to me and sticks out her arms for me to pick her up.

I did. :) Talk about making an old guy feel good.

When the bride turned the corner and came down the center isle, here was the preacher, holding the flowergirl in his arms. I am smiling now just thinking about how good that made me feel.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, reach out and hug somebody.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me too. I just love those kinds of moments.