Thursday, September 25, 2008

humble church

Last Sunday the sermon was on humility. Someone commented later that they thought I was "rough" on them. I am sorry if it was too rough. I don't think that guilt is a good motivator, so I am sorry if it felt that way to any of you.

I had a thought during the 1115 service. Woods Chapel should be the most humble church. Do you remember when........

We still owed money for snow removal from the previous winter... in August?
Woods Chapel Road was closed and you had to drive the long way around the lake to get to church?
We had people fighting over which program was the most important?
Our missions was about two canned food drives per year?
We had a fund raiser with basketball games to raise money for a $150 basketball goal?
Our nursery was tiny?
We played volleyball in the yard on Wednesday night?
We had a Sunday school class meeting in the kitchen?
We had to announce on Sunday that the mortgage was due Thursday and we were short?
The preacher did not use a microphone?
Our children's choir had 7 kids in it?
Do you remember these things..............?

I do. And these memories remind me that we have been really blessed. We are a very fortunate congregation.

We have come so far by God's grace. We should be the most thankful, humble people.
Remember when, and give thanks.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are correct Jeff! Lack of humility is the result of our Economic Crisis. Greedy, overly priviledge members of our society have created a debt ravaged community. Why do we need so much 'stuff'? If you have too much money, put it where it can do some good like our missions. If you don't have enough, give of yourself!

Anonymous said...

I understand the thoughts of 'remembering when,' and being thankful for where we are now. Please know that what I am about to share is not in any way in conflict with this thinking...rather consistent.

On Monday evening I sat for an hour in a little church that holds substantial memories for my family.

To step inside that little sanctuary was moving for me. The predominate feeling was not one of thankfulness for outgrowing that humble place. Rather, at that moment I was moved and impressed with the significance of that little fellowship with whom we shared over 30 years ago.

My daughter is going to be married in that little church...so small that the guest list is short. It's the church in which my wife and I were married...over 38 years ago. It's the church where family members made decisions to surrender their lives to Jesus. It's the church where we had our hearts broken from time to time.

It's just a building. But, there are many markers memorializing life-shaping events as we walk through the room.

You're right...those were wonderfully humble days. Anything of Kingdom value could only be attributed to God. I guess it's important to understand that is no less the case in WCC.

God moving in me...in a fellowship of a hundred people...or, in a church of ten thousand people, is just a matter of scale. It's all Him either place.

So...as much as you bless the Lord for WCC today, there must be a smile on your heart when you remember the volleyball in the yard on Wednesday night...the Sunday School class in the kitchen...and the intimacy of not needing a microphone.

Maintaining such intimacy may be one of the most challenging pieces of our ministry together as God continues to bless WCC.

I think there must be an ever increasing number of the fellowship that you are not able to know. But, a part of God's blessing over your ministry is the sense of intimacy the one in pew experiences with you, as you share His heart with them. (That a cumbersome sentence, but it's a significant reality.)

I've experienced a bit of humility this week. It has been wonderful.

Your friend

Anonymous said...

Once again, your message was exactly what I needed to hear on Sunday. It wasn't too rough at all--just a perfect reminder.