Sunday, September 21, 2008

Easter treats and football cleats

Just yesterday you were all dressed up for church in your Easter outfits. You liked Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch. You could both sit on my lap at the same time. We laughed and sang funny songs. You were beautiful. You had a Fisher Price kitchen where you cooked all sorts of plastic delights that I was forced to consume. You took naps every day and went to bed at 9pm. I prayed for you and dreamed about your future.


I want you to know that I remember every moment of your childhood. I remember telling stories and feeding you toast. I remember the first time I took you to Taco Bell. What a mess! I remember when you were baptized. I remember pushing you in the swings. I remember the purple car. I remember watching dances that you made up. Wow, where has the time gone?



Last week I went to your football game. You are in college now, playing intramural football. All dressed up, receivers on offense, safeties on defense. You were mean and scary on the field. Look at you, all big and smart and capable. What a miracle you are, what a blessing. I can see you turning out, even better than we had imagined. You are beautiful.

It all goes by fast my friends.


It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

radgrad said...

Well, see, now you have me crying. Thank God for godly fathers. You have given your daughters an incredible gift by your presence and caring and love in their lives. I was blessed with a Christian father (and I wasn't a preacher's kid!) and now, (thanks in part to you, by the waY,) I am blessed that my own children receive the foundation of a Christian, caring home. Your children will carry the memories of the time you spent with them all of their lives, They will be able to model their relationship with their heavenly father based on your living example. Thank you and God bless you, Jeff.

Anonymous said...

As an older forty-something parent of an infant and a presechooler...and a teenager, I am old enough to know how fast it's going. I keep trying not to blink, but my contacts dry out. I just hope He knows how grateful I am to be so blessed. I don't think I can thank Him enough.